The long term direction of scenery tools is this:
- Scenery tools will be separate from the X-Plane distribution, free, and open source. (This separation allows us to post scenery tool source without posting X-Plane source, and to use GPL code in the scenery tools.)
- A few very basic editing functions (like adding nav-aids) are integrated into the sim to allow instructors to correct nav data during a training session.
- WorldMaker therefore is no longer a scenery editor at all.
Because the scenery tools don't use X-Plane code, the scenery tools will have two limits to their previewing capabilities:
- There is always the risk that with different code, the tools will preview scenery differently from X-Plane's final render.
- Because the scenery tools don't use X-Plane's renderer, we basically have to rewrite viewing code in the scenery tools from scratch. That's a lot of code, so for a while the preview in the tools will be limited.