Simply put: I have no idea and I'm not going to try to answer these questions any more. Here's why:
For as long as I have been involved with X-Plane, Laminar Research has provided free patches to the simulator throughout a major version run, and those patches have included not only performance enhancements and bug fixes, but also major new features.
So the question "will X-Plane 10 have X" can really mean one of two things:
- Will X-Plane 10.0 have feature X immediately 'on the DVD'?
- Will X-Plane 10.x ever have feature X in a free patch before the major version run is over.
Consider 64-bit - it's something we want to look at during the version 10 run but we're not going dig into it until after we get 10.0 out. So will 10.0 be 64-bit? No. But there will probably be a 64-bit patch available for free. I think you can see why I don't want to post "X-Plane 10 will not be 64 bit."
I cannot possibly answer the second question, because versions run over several years, and what we code for the end of the version run will depend on market conditions and technology that don't exist now. One of the nice things about patching X-Plane frequently is that we can revise our plans as conditions change.
Consider the question "how many cores will X-Plane 8 utilize" had you asked the question during X-Plane 8.0. When X-Plane 8.0 came out, the answer was "only one" and we had no road-map to change that. For that matter, multi-core machines were rare and exotic beasts at the time, so multi-core wasn't a priority.
Within the three years of X-Plane 8's major version run, we ended up supporting multi-core for scenery mesh loading, something that couldn't have been easily predicted at the beginning of the version run.
Finally, a note on release planning: now is absolutely not a good time to ask for features. The features that will ship in X-Plane 10.0 have already been determined, and since we'd like to ship X-Plane 10 sooner rather than later, I don't think there's anything you can say that would make us add a feature to 10.0.
All future features are going into a 10.x "bucket" for planning purposes. Since Austin, Chris and I are up to our eyeballs in code and the art team is red-lined too, we're not spending any time sifting through 10.x buckets right now. If you send us a feature request, the very best case is that we dump it in a holding list for later; the worse case is that we lose track of the request in the chaos.
That doesn't mean that we don't care about 10.x. It's just that we are very much heads down in the 10.0 release now and won't look up until it's done.