Sunday, December 19, 2010

X-Plane for Android

As some have noticed on the org and on FaceBook, Randy mentioned that we may be able to ship X-Plane Mobile for Android. Some users were quite befuddled to learn that we were aiming to ship X-Plane Mobile for Android so soon when X-Plane 10 is delayed. Here's the full story.

Chris, the third and most recent addition to the X-Plane programming team, began a port of X-Plane Mobile to Android a while ago; this was the second port of X-Plane Mobile after our port to Palm WebOS. He was able to accomplish most of the port fairly quickly; hence the video floating around the web of X-Plane on a Nexus One back in May.

Unfortunately we ran into some issues that stopped ship; it looks like Google may have them fixed shortly, hence our hope of finally shipping the app. So while Chris has spent a little bit of time recently working on the last few Android issues, our hope is to release a product that we already put development time into a while ago.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That's fantastic news! I've got a shiny Dell Streak ready and waiting :)

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us if this will be avaiable for android 2.1 or higher?

Alejandro GarcĂ­a (the one who forgot his google account and logs as anonymus xD)

Anonymous said...

It will require a minimum of Eclair (2.0/2.1) on a device with some basic performance requirements.

Shane said...

I feel bad because I was the person that commented:

"I want X-Plane 10 more than I want X-Plane Android !!"

Thanks to this blog post I now understand the situation but I am just so so so excited for XPX !!

Shane

Benjamin Supnik said...

Hi Shane,

We all want XP10 really bad too within LR! We're definitely not taking focus off of XP10.

/ben

D2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dirk Hohndel said...

Bought it. Love it. So glad you got the Android issues worked around.

Any chance to get the EFIS application as well?

Benjamin Supnik said...

Hi Dirk,

Not sure. We're definitely not done bringing things to Android, but I'm not sure what the next steps will be, exactly...partly we need to wait and see a bit how the platform does and what kinds of issues the platform has.

/ben

Anonymous said...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G and I cannot find it in the market. Do you have any idea why?

Piotrek said...

X-plane seems to take 2011 by storm

I've been happy with x-plane for years, but expect 2011 to be heaven :-)

Can't go wrong anymore with x-plane spinoff for the Android platform as a 2011 starter.....

Damiaan said...

Although I am impressed with X-Plane running on my Nexus, I am very disappointed when I compare it to X-Plane HD on my son's iPhone Touch. For the same price I get a couple of planes an places and he gets over 40 planes and 20 places. What are the development plans for Android?