Friday, December 09, 2005

A "real" Scenery Blog

I am converting the "scenery blog" to a real blog, meaning one that uses real blog software for RSS feeds, trackbacks, comment posts, all that good stuff.

A brief intro: I work for Austin Meyer on X-Plane, a cross-platform flight simulator based on real physics, developing the scenery system, scenery engine, 3rd party development kits, and the algorithms used to create the default scenery.

We just shipped the new "global scenery", a rendering of the entire world from 54S to 60N using SRTM2 data. Sergio (our lead artist) has posted some screenshots here. I'll try to post on topics of interest to scenery authors and X-Plane users.

2 comments:

Benjamin Supnik said...

CATTilley -- I'm afraid I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get; you're using hardware that is way more powerful than anything Austin and I have, so we don't have good data.

I can tell you that more VRAM will only help if you want to increase your res. For example with 512 you might be able to run on 'extreme' without texture compression. (This will also tax your system RAM - all VRAM is backed up in system RAM - that's just how OpenGL works.) But in terms of going from one graphics card to the other, I can't say. You might also be able to run higher FSAA, etc.

Shelton D'Cruz said...

Also, the most important thing to consider is the Memory Bandwidth throughput - which means, how much faster is the GPU clock, how much faster is the Memory Speed, How many bits to the Memory - is it 128 BIT or 256 BIT. I would consider the amount of RAM on the card as secondary.

Regards
Shelton.