This is a bigger problem in X-Plane 9.
- Because the panel texture can be expensive for big panels, we are a lot more aggressive about not setting up the panel texture if we can avoid it. This means that sometimes the texture doesn't exist at all. This is why in beta 14 you get an error if you do a formation flight having only been in "w" (forward 2-d) view...the panel texture doesn't yet exist, but the exterior view of the Cessna tow plane uses it.
- With panel regions there can be up to four panel textures, so you can see the potential for anarchy.
- Panel textures aren't even the same size any more, causing the wrong-panel-in-AI-plane problem to look even weirder than before.
- Any cockpit object for an AI plane.
- Any scenery objects that are illegally using the panel texture.
We did discuss live panels for all planes (for all of about 3 seconds), but the live panel texture in 3-d is so expensive that it'd be prohibitive to most users for even one AI airplane, let alone 20!